Saturday, October 29, 2011

The New 52 Month Two: Analyzing My Digital Pull List

Now that Month Two of the New 52 is over, which means I've had a chance to read at least the first issue of every series I plan to, it seems like a good idea to step back and take a look at the whole thing. And because I'm that kind of geek, when I say "step back and take a look," I mean "bust out Excel and plug in data in an attempt to quantify everything." So that's what I did. I entered the ratings I gave each of the first and second issues, averaged, sorted, and analyzed. Here's what I came up with:

  • I read 33 of the 52 first issues.
    • 15 day-and-date
    • 18 a month later
  • My average rating overall: 3.4 out of 5 Pixels
    • For Day-and-Date titles: 3.6 Pixels
    • For A Month Late titles: 3.25 Pixels
  • My favorite series: Batman and Stormwatch, each with an average of 4.25 Pixels over two issues.
  • In danger of being dropped if they don't get better quickly: Swamp Thing, Blue Beetle, Red Hood & the Outlaws, each with only 2.5 Pixels for the first issue.
  • Demoted from Day-and-Date to A Month Late after the first issue: Red Hood & the Outlaws
  • Comics that most pleasantly surprised me: Superboy and Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E.
  • Comics that most disappointed me: Justice League International, Blue Beetle, and Red Hood & the Outlaws (JLI got a little better with the second issue; here's hoping the others do as well)
  • Comic that made the most significant improvement between issue 1 and issue 2 (so far): Wonder Woman, from 3 to 4 Pixels
  • Writers I am totally digging: Paul Cornell, Scott Snyder (despite Swamp Thing not really being my thing yet), Jeff Lemire, Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison (the last two are not new additions to this list as of the New 52, but the first three are)
  • Artists that are blowing my mind: J.H. Williams III, Francis Manapul.
  • Number one feel-good book: Batman & Robin
Overall, I'm enjoying this New 52 thing. Sure, there are a few mushy grapes in the bunch, but a good number of them are crisp and tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment