Monday, August 22, 2011

Day-And-Date: DC Retroactive: Batman - The 90s

Writer: Alan Grant
Artist: Norm Breyfogle
Release Date: August 17, 2011
Rating: 4 out of 5 Pixels
It's a bit of a cop-out to point you somewhere else in my first review, but J. Caleb Mozzocco expressed my sentiments exactly in his review of this issue on Robot 6: This is a fantastic piece of nostalgia that perfectly recaptures the feel of Grant/Breyfogle Batman stories from the early nineties. I give it only 4 out of 5 Pixels because, as Caleb points out, this doesn't do much above and beyond recreating the era. 

I will add, though, that I think it's great that DC and Comixology are releasing 99-cent digital versions of comics from the era in conjunction with these Retroactive specials. I bought and reread Batman 462, 463, 464, and 465 (featuring one of the early appearances of Tim Drake as Robin, yay!) to complete my nostalgia experience. The thing that stood out to me, apart from how great Grant is at populating Gotham with three-dimensional characters, how much I love Breyfogle's Robin, and how apt Caleb Mozzocco's description of Breyfogle's Batman is ("Breyfogle drew the character so that his cape, cowl, white triangle eyes and often gritted teeth looked like highly-abstracted, expressionistic elements that belonged to one character, but his Batman had a tall, thin, highly-muscled athletic body that seemed to belong to another character"), was that Breyfogle's Batmobile is by far my favorite:


Here's hoping this won't be Grant and Breyfogle's last Batman collaboration.

No comments:

Post a Comment